Kids Church Lesson
December 5, 2021
This Week's Lesson: God Called Moses (Exodus 1-4)
Moses’ life was in danger from the moment he was born. He was an Israelite—a descendant of Israel (Jacob)—living in Egypt after Jacob’s family had moved there, seeking food during a famine.
Four hundred years later, this family had grown and multiplied. Moses’ parents, Amran and Jochebed, likely lived in fear of the pharaoh who ruled Egypt and took drastic measures to oppress the Israelites. Could God’s promises for His people stand against such opposition?
Jochebed hid her baby boy as long as she could—about three months—before she put him in a basket among the reeds of the river. She couldn’t have known that Pharaoh’s daughter would find him and want to raise him as her own, or that the princess would let Jochebed care for him until he was old enough to be raised as an Egyptian prince. She couldn’t have known that her son would grow up to deliver the Israelites out of Egypt. But God knew. All along, God had a plan for Moses and His people.
God appeared to Moses years later. Moses was a shepherd then, having grown up in Egypt’s royal household only to flee as a murderer to Midian. There, Moses started a family and worked as a shepherd, perhaps never imagining he would see Egypt again.
But one night, God drew a curious Moses to Himself and spoke through a burning bush. You see, God remembered the promise He made to Eve in Genesis 3. He remembered His covenant with Abraham in Genesis 12, which He repeated to Isaac and Jacob. So many years had passed, but God remembered His promises.
Moses was inadequate for the task of rescuing the Israelites, but God promised His power and presence. So in the early chapters of Exodus, we see Moses return to Egypt to confront Pharaoh—acting as a mediator between the Israelites and their burdensome king.
As you consider Moses’ calling, look forward to an even greater calling and rescue—the call of Jesus to come to earth to save God’s people from their sin. Jesus is greater than Moses. Moses delivered God’s people from physical captivity; Jesus delivers God’s people from captivity to sin and death.
FAMILY TALKING POINTS
This is the big idea of how this week’s Bible story points to Jesus.
● Babies & Toddlers: God sent Jesus to rescue people.
● Younger Preschool: God chose Moses to save God’s people from the king of Egypt. God planned and sent Jesus to earth to save people from sin.
● Older Preschool: God saved Moses’ life so Moses could grow up and save God’s people from the Egyptian pharaoh. God planned for His Son, Jesus, to save people in an even better way. God sent Jesus to earth, and Jesus gave up His life to save us from our sin.
● Kids: God saved Moses’ life and called him to rescue God’s people from slavery. The calling of Moses points to a greater calling and rescue—the call of Jesus to come to earth to save God’s people. Jesus gave up His life to save us from slavery to sin.
BIG PICTURE QUESTION & ANSWER
This is an important biblical truth that your child will encounter each week of this unit.
● Younger Preschool: Does God keep His promises? Yes, God always keeps His promises.
● Older Preschool: Does God keep His promises? Yes, God always keeps His promises.
● Kids: Does God keep His promises? Yes, God always keeps His promises because He is faithful.
This is a Bible verse that relates to what your child will encounter each week of this unit.
● Babies & Toddlers: God keeps His promises. — Numbers 23:19
● Younger Preschool: God keeps His promises. — Numbers 23:19
● Older Preschool: God is not a man, that he might lie … Does he speak and not act, or promise and not fulfill? — Numbers 23:19
● Kids: God is not a man, that he might lie, or a son of man, that he might change his mind. Does he speak and not act, or promise and not fulfill? — Numbers 23:19
** Next week: God Delivered His People (Exodus 5–12)
Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa Families:
CLICK HERE to sign up to request access to weekly Gospel Project resources.
Download the App for Games, activities, and Bible Story Videos
Crossroads Youtube Channel
Kids on the Move Youtube Channel
Kids video lessons and Bible Stories
Elementary and Preschool Curriculum, Color Pages, and Activities
Elementary age worksheets, puzzle pages and color Sheets